The old model of graduating from college and getting a job we’d work at for 40 years is dead. If it ever really existed in the first place.
We face a constantly changing landscape. Sometimes we crash and start again. The trick is to understand the core variables in the underlying formula of career success and pass them down to our kids.
Our guest on Episode 14 of Dad Life Rules is a New York Times best-selling author twice over, public speaker, comedic Twitter addict, and queso connoisseur, Jon Acuff.
In today’s interview, we talk about the four essential elements to an effective lifetime career and how to help setup our kids for success before they reach college.
Listen to Dad Life Rules
To listen to the show, click the player below (If you’re reading this via email or RSS, please click here).
In this episode, Jon Acuff and I discussed:
- What everyone chasing a passion struggles to call themselves
- How the arc of Jon’s own career path is part of the Do Over origin story
- Four components for a sturdy, significant, lifelong career
- The progression of a foundational career formula
- Key principles dads can teach their kids to prepare them for a career journey
- Parenting challenges unique to our generation and tips to tackle them
- “We eat at TGIFridays not TGIMondays for a reason.”
- “(Relationship + Character + Skills) x Hustle”
- “Relationships are the original job hack.”
- “Hustle is an act of focus, not frenzy.”
- “How we treat people matters. Your industry is smaller than you think.”
- “Treat people with compassion, respect and dignity.”
- Career Savings Account
- Do Over by Jon Acuff
- Strong Daughter, Strong Fathers by Meg Meeker
- Plants vs. Zombies
Dad Life Rules
- Twitter: @DadLifeRules
- Facebook: fb.com/DadLifeRules
- Podcast Page: DadLifeRules.com
- Show Notes: kcprocter.com/dlr014
Next week we’ve got a unique interview with one of the most intriguing people I’ve ever met. Ryan Pemberton not only attended Oxford University in England, but he lived in C.S. Lewis’s home. We’ll chat about his journey of being called to risk it all and how to help our kids navigate audacious dreams.
What’s in your Career Savings Account? Are you prepared for your next do over? Share in the comments
Build Your Digital Toolbox
Tired of trying to organize the chaos of work, life, and home? Get it sorted and remember everything with these tools.