People will do crazy things for love. People get outright insane when it comes to fear. Even if the object of fear makes no sense to someone else.
Spiders? No problem. I kill them like a man with my bare hands.
Heights? Please. I went rock climbing in the dark with no ropes or gear.
Moths? Hold up. I’m deathly afraid of moths. Those spastic, furry, tiny bats are the spawn of Satan.
Many people are terrified of public speaking. The idea of standing in front of a group of 5 or 5,000 people freezes them with fear.
However, because so many people are afraid of public speaking, it’s a marketable skill. If you can apply some basic principles and push through the fear, you can find yourself in a profitable career.
On this episode of Dad Life Rules, we talk with professional public speaker and ice cream connoisseur, Grant Baldwin.
Grant has spoken at colleges, companies, and conferences across the country. Often to a standing ovation. I had the opportunity hear him present in Nashville this summer and he killed it.
Listen in as we talk about why people fear public speaking, how to deliver a winning presentation, and what dads can do to equip their kids to speak with confidence.
Listen to Dad Life Rules
To listen to the show, click the player below (If you’re reading this via email or RSS, please click here).
- The core elements of a good speech
- How to maintain a strong presence at home if you travel
- Writing letters to your kids
- What makes a great dad
- “The audience doesn’t want you to fail.” -Grant Baldwin
- “If you are a business success and a loser at home, you’re a failure.” -Grant Baldwin
- “Your wife needs veto power over your calendar.” -Grant Baldwin
- “Your words matter. Pick a medium that works for you.” -Grant Baldwin
- Twitter: @grantbaldwin
- Podcast: How Did You Get Into That
- Course: Booked & Paid to Speak
- App: Strong
- Article: The Science of ‘Inside Out’ (New York Times)
Are you afraid of public speaking? How do you encourage your kids to have confidence? Share in the comments.
Build Your Digital Toolbox
Get your 12 Essential Tools for Every Dad's Digital Toolbox guide plus weekly tips on making dad life rule!